This course is for people whose role involves assisting moving people. it explains the principles and practice of safer handling of people and objects. It outlines the reasons for safer handling, legal requirements, the process of completing risk assessments to reduce the risk of harm and additional considerations if the load you are moving is a person.
Learners are given the opportunity to practice the principles of safer handling of people and objects when using equipment, on their own and as part of a team.
A range of subjects are covered that will equip learners to;
- Understand the reasons for safe manual handling
- Understand how manual handling risk assessments contribute to improving health and safety
- Understand the principles, types of equipment and testing requirements associated with manual handling safety
- Understand the person safety, health & dignity issues
- Understand how a personal handling plan and risk assessment reduce the risk of injury to everyone involved in moving a person
- Be able to apply safe manual handling principles
- Be able to apply safe manual handling principles when moving a person
Practical assessment is on-going by the instructor, culminating with a written test.
This qualiﬁcation does not expire, but refresher training and keeping up to date with changes to policies and procedures is vital to keep the qualiﬁcation current.
A maximum of 12 learners are allowed per course, they must be a minimum of 16 years of age and a certiﬁcate can be offered to all, subject to assessment.